Pickleball is the double of the badminton court. It mainly combines three games: tennis, badminton, and ping pong. The standard measurement of a pickleball court, often referred to as Pickleball Court Dimensions, is 22×44 feet. In pickleball, you can play both the singles and the doubles game.
This blog post answers, “What are the dimensions of a pickleball court?” If you want to set up a pickleball court, it is crucial to know” How much space do you need around a pickleball court?”. You’ll have information about your questions at the end of the blog.
Standard Pickleball Court Dimensions
The standard dimensions of a pickleball court are given below;
- The shape of the pickleball court is rectangular, measuring 22(width) x 44 (length) feet.
- The court is divided into two halves with a net.
- The size of the net is 22 feet long and 34 inches high from the center.
- The non-volley zone is located on both sides of the net. This zone is also known as the kitchen. It has a depth of 7 feet.
- If you are measuring a court within 22×44 feet, divide it with a centerline of 10 feet within 20 feet baseline at the back of the court.
How Much Space Do You Need For a Pickleball Court?
The Pickleball court is 22 feet in width and 44 feet in length, divided into two parts with the center. Each piece is 20 feet wide and 22 feet long. Pickleball has a smaller play area due to the non-volley zone on each side.
The non-volley zone is about 7 feet in depth. Players are not allowed to hit the ball within the area marked by a line and parallel to the net.
A non-volley zone keeps players from aggressively hitting the ball close to the net, leading to risky collisions. However, the pickleball court requires extra room around the sides to provide a comfortable playing experience.
That’s why the total space needed for a pickleball court is about 30 feet in width and 60 feet as the players move freely around the play area without any injury.
Space Do You Need Around Pickleball Courts
There are some steps to set up an outdoor pickleball court:
- Find a smooth and refined ground without any slope. The measurement of the court is about 30 feet wide and 60 feet long.
- It would be best to protect the court by fencing around the area.
- Use tape, paint, or chalk to mark the boundaries. A standard pickleball court is 20×44 feet with a 7-foot non-volley area.
- It would help to place the net tightly in the middle with the stands on both sides. Ensure the height of the net is correct.
- You can place a bench or a scoreboard, but ensure they are in the right place and harm no one.
- Ensure you’ll take care of the court by sweeping and removing garbage from the court regularly.
- Maintenance is a vital part of keeping your court in perfect condition.
What equipment do you need to play pickleball?
If you like to play pickleball, then you need two equipment:
- Pickleball paddle
- Pickleball ball
A pickleball paddle combines a ping-pong racket and a tennis racket. The standard pickleball racket is usually 16 inches long and 8 inches wide. Some paddles are lengthy but only for those who play with both hands. It maintains balance and control. In past times, rackets were made up of wood, but now they are made up of aluminum and graphite.
Pickleball balls are manufactured with plastic having holes in it. The dimensions of a pickleball ball are about 3 inches. It is light in weight, which is only 1.02 ounces.
Rules of Pickleball
Pickleball is generally an easy game that people can learn within a few lessons. There are some rules you need to know about the pickleball:
Rule no.1: Engage your body thoroughly with the game. You must be flexible and move your feet according to the ball’s direction.
Rule no.2: The ball must stay in bounds.
Rule no.3: Each point continues until you cannot commit a fault.
Rule no.4: The goal of the pickleball serve is to put the ball in play.
Rule no.5: Make sure no serve can land in a non-volley zone.
Rule no.6: You can hit the groundstrokes in the kitchen.
Rule no.7: You only win points on your serve.
Rule no.8: The match will end at 11 or 15 points.
You’ll need to make careful planning about space. This blog can help you to make good decisions on your own. The extra space you need around the court is 10 feet. That allows players to move freely within the match without getting injured or colliding with other players. The official and standard dimensions for a pickleball court are 20 feet in width and 44 feet in length. This blog will clarify your queries about how much space a pickleball court needs.