The beautiful island of Sri Lanka is a tropical beauty that is so lovely to explore. As it is surrounded by water, you have the opportunity to enjoy different types of water sports and can also watch marine animals in close quarters.
What Places Should You Visit To Experience Local Marine Life?
When it comes to visiting Sri Lanka, everyone heads to its many ancient sites and tea plantations. Did you know that it is known for its pristine beaches, where you can enjoy so many adventures? Opt for a Srilankan Airlines flight to arrive comfortably in Columbo for your marine life exploration. Here are the key places to visit to get a glimpse of the exotic marine animals that abound in the area of this island country:
- The lovely Hikkaduwa Beach is a must-visit for its pristine beauty and also for being a national marine park, the first in the country! Spending time here is wonderful, as you can stroll along the sand for a long time, gazing at the waters and listening to the sound of the waves. It’s quite a serene place, yet there are opportunities for water sports, as many programs for scuba diving and snorkeling are available, which take you into the rich underwater world that is teeming with corals and colorful marine life. Do take a glass-bottomed boat ride, which can be quite thrilling.
- Sea turtles have their own routes, which they keenly follow on their yearly travels, so if you want to see them, make a visit to Bentota. These gigantic creatures can be seen in their natural environment, and as they gather, they also lay their eggs. You can see and even touch them at the Kosgoda Sea Turtle Hatchery, which is located here and open to tourists throughout the year. They are an endangered species, but by visiting the hatchery, which is open throughout the yard, you can have close contact with them.
- Watching whales can be quite exciting, and where better to have this experience than at Trincomalee? So many of them can be seen here, and you can note their interactions and activities. The easiest way to do this is by getting onto a fiberglass motorboatand riding on the water. This lets you watch sperm whales and also blue whales, which are abundant in these waters. You can also see so many dolphins singing and dancing among them, which is a real treat for the eyes. This is also the place to come for snorkeling and diving, which get you into an underwater world that’s quite populous with various types of colorful marine life.
- You can enjoy the lovely environment of whales and dolphins by visiting Mirissa, a lovely place where they can be seen in their hundreds. Watch them doing different types of acrobatic exercises, which can be so exciting and thrilling to see. Take photos of them as they swim and dance about the waters. The waters here are known more for being visited by the majestic blue whales that sing as they move in them. You can also opt for a marine mammal safari, which is available at the first-star resort that is close to this place. This place is also known for its opportunities for surfing, snorkeling, and diving.
- If you love fishing, then visiting the Negombo village, which is known for its fishing industry, is a must. Many popular fish varieties are caught and packed in their thousands, and you can taste some wonderful dishes at local restaurants in this place. It is also a prime spot for enjoying a serene and beautiful beach environment, where you can take a stroll and enjoy the beach sand. Close to the beach is a Dutch fort, whose ruins you can explore during your time here. Some interesting activities that you can indulge in are sailing, windsurfing, kite surfing, and water skiing.
The beauty of Sri Lanka’s golden sandy beaches is complimented only by its exotic marine life, which migrated here from all over the world, and colorful coral reefs under the waters. arrive here through Srilankan Airlines to watch whales and dolphins dancing, singing, and swimming in the waters of this island. Watching these creatures close by gives you insight into their ecosystem and also how they manage their lifecycle.